AutoCAD default line types usually enough for everyday purposes. But sometimes it’s just not enough sometimes we need to have our own. The problem is creating custom line type can be difficult to do. But if you have express tools installed, creating custom line type can be very easy.
I like to use it, even for drawing complex objects. It is easier, faster, dan consumes fewer hardware resources than using simple objects.
Creating line type that contains simple objects
I’m going to convert those object to a custom line type.
- Access from ribbon or AutoCAD Menu: Express>Tools>Make Linetype. Or if you are a command line fans, you can type MKLTYPE.
- Type your line type file name, then click save. This file name is what you’ll see when you load the .lin file in Windows dialog box.
- Type your line type name, then press [enter]. This line type name is what you’ll see in the name list.
- Type your line type description (optional), then press [enter]. This description should be able to give you a brief description about this line type.
- Specify starting point and end point. In this example, I choose left end point of the line as a start point. And somewhere slightly on the right of the text.
- Select objects. Select them both, then press [enter].
Linetype that contains more complex objects
I will create a line type from this AutoCAD sample block. Insert to drawing, and explode it. To create a line type from this complex geometry, we will have to create a shape file. Don’t worry; Express Tool also has an excellent tool to create it.
- Type the file name, then click save.
- Type the shape name, then [enter].
- Hit [enter] to accept default resolution value.
- Define the insertion point. This is the as you define insert point in block creation.
- Select the shrub, then [enter]. The shape is created.
The line type scale doesn’t appear correctly?
If you have a problem controlling line type scale, you might want to see that you can control linetype scale in 3 easy step! You might need to have several attempts to work comfortably with it.